Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1794 large Cent
        I was walking back to my Jimmy, after pulling up junk in an area popular for detecting, among locals, about 2 yrs ago. It's by a very old water access area, at the top of Narragansett Bay, on the Fall River MA side, of Bristol, RI. That's as close as i'll say, lol! As I was walking back, I left the detector on, but I wasn't actually looking, just walking back with my hand on the detector, an old Quick Draw, not even using the armrest. About 30' from my vehicle, on a well worn path, right in the middle of a tire track! I had a blurb. I almost kept walking, but I decided to stop and check, there was no fresh hole, so I hadn't come across it yet. I isolated the area and dropped to my knees. Pulled my small spade out and push in hard, it was packed pretty good from people goin 4 wheeling about a hundred yards up, they come in through here. The signal was strong, very strong for copper, so I was figuring some kind of plumbing or boat part, old boat parts are abundant in this area. I went in about 3", the signal indicated it was 2" down, so I wanted to come up just under it. I turned over the clump of rich loamy dirt and instantly saw what looked like a large slug, no features. I grabbed it and it seemed heavier than a regular slug. So, I poured some water over it and saw a date, 1794!!! Then other features started showing up and some stuff on the sides. I only live about 200 yards up the street, so I went home and rinsed it off better in the sink. Sure enough, a 1794 Large Cent! I just couldn't believe it!!! I mean, people are walking out of there over that spot for over 200 yrs and no one ever came across it!!! I didn't catch it when I did a sweep on the way through there my first time and I usually start prepping around there, getting things tuned up for further up where it appears there may be something, very old crumbling foundations, with 40-50 yrs and older trees all over the place, that wouldn't have been there when people were there. I was blown away. Ebay had some listed over $100k, this wasn't anywhere near that condition, but I sold it for over $200. I needed the money at the time, I wouldn't have sold it today. Not that I don't still need the money, just now that it's gone, I wish I kept it! These pics were taken about a day or so after I found it. The buildup started flaking off after it started drying. I left it alone for a few days and you could actually see less features after it all flaked off, that's when I sold it.
(06-26-2017, 01:48 AM)Mirath Wrote: I was walking back to my Jimmy, after pulling up junk in an area popular for detecting, among locals, about 2 yrs ago. It's by a very old water access area, at the top of Narragansett Bay, on the Fall River MA side, of Bristol, RI. That's as close as i'll say, lol! As I was walking back, I left the detector on, but I wasn't actually looking, just walking back with my hand on the detector, an old Quick Draw, not even using the armrest. About 30' from my vehicle, on a well worn path, right in the middle of a tire track! I had a blurb. I almost kept walking, but I decided to stop and check, there was no fresh hole, so I hadn't come across it yet. I isolated the area and dropped to my knees. Pulled my small spade out and push in hard, it was packed pretty good from people goin 4 wheeling about a hundred yards up, they come in through here. The signal was strong, very strong for copper, so I was figuring some kind of plumbing or boat part, old boat parts are abundant in this area. I went in about 3", the signal indicated it was 2" down, so I wanted to come up just under it. I turned over the clump of rich loamy dirt and instantly saw what looked like a large slug, no features. I grabbed it and it seemed heavier than a regular slug. So, I poured some water over it and saw a date, 1794!!! Then other features started showing up and some stuff on the sides. I only live about 200 yards up the street, so I went home and rinsed it off better in the sink. Sure enough, a 1794 Large Cent! I just couldn't believe it!!! I mean, people are walking out of there over that spot for over 200 yrs and no one ever came across it!!! I didn't catch it when I did a sweep on the way through there my first time and I usually start prepping around there, getting things tuned up for further up where it appears there may be something, very old crumbling foundations, with 40-50 yrs and older trees all over the place, that wouldn't have been there when people were there. I was blown away. Ebay had some listed over $100k, this wasn't anywhere near that condition, but I sold it for over $200. I needed the money at the time, I wouldn't have sold it today. Not that I don't still need the money, just now that it's gone, I wish I kept it! These pics were taken about a day or so after I found it. The buildup started flaking off after it started drying. I left it alone for a few days and you could actually see less features after it all flaked off, that's when I sold it.

DO NOT BELIEVE ITS WHAT YOU THINK IT IS, BECAUSE  1794 IS DIFFERENT THEN   THIS 1840S COIN