Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
History of Marlborough, NH
#1
History of Marlborough, NH

[color=#000000]HISTORY OF MARLBOROUGH, CHESHIRE COUNTY, NEW HAMPSHIRE
**Note: although spelled "Marlboro" in this document, the correct and
accurate spelling of the town is "Marlborough"***
----------------------------------
----------------------------------
Information located at https://www.nh.searchroots.com
On a web site about GENEALOGY AND HISTORY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE
and its counties
TRANSCRIBED BY JANICE BROWN
Please see the web site for my email contact.
----------------------------------
The original source of this information is in the public domain,
however use of this text file, other than for personal use, is
restricted without written permission from the transcriber
(who has edited, compiled and added new copyrighted text to same).
========================================================
TAKEN FROM TWO SOURCES:
1. History of Cheshire and Sullivan Counties, New Hampshire
Philadelphia: J.W. Lewis & Co., 1886, 1073 pgs.
2. Gazetteer of Cheshire County, N.H., 1736-1885 by Hamilton Child,
Syracuse, N.Y.: H. Child, 1885, 882 pgs.


page 258* & 302
HISTORY OF MARLBOROUGH NH

MARLBORO is a small irregularly outlined township, lying in the central
part of the county, in lat. 24 degrees 54' and long. 4 degrees 49',
bounded north by Roxbury, east by Harrisville, Dublin and Jaffrey,
south by Troy, and west by Troy, Swanzey and Keene.  It was
originally granted by the Masonian proprietors, under the name of
Monadnock No 5., to James Morrison Jr., and thirty-one associates,
May 20, 1752.  This charter granted to these gentlemen a tract of
land 20,000 acres [original boundary designation in charter, found in
original document, is not included here.]

The proprietors met at the house of Joseph Blanchard, in Dunstable,
NH on the same day the charter was issued and formally accepted the
grant, etc.  Most of them were residents of Dunstable and Londonderry
[NH] and doubtless took the land as a speculation, with no idea of
ever becoming settlers thereon.  It is certain, at least, that no
decided effort was made to bring foward a settlement.  This, however,
was doubtless due to the troubles attending the French and Indian War,
which broke out in 1753.  No record of any proceedings on the part of
the proprietors is found for a period of over nine years, a period of
inactivity which legally annulled their charter.  
 But in 1761, twenty-eight residents of Westborough and Marlborough,
Mass, obtained an interest in the land, and four of them, William
Baker, Isaac McAlister, Richard Tozer and Daniel Goodenow,
subsequently became settlers.  A proprietor's meeting was warned to
meet at Marlborough, Mass, November 20, of that year, of which Noah
Church was made moderator, and Ebenezer Dexter was chosen clerk;
Jesse Wright, treasurer; Noah Church, Jacob Felton and Ebenezer Dexter,
assessors; and Stephen How, collector.  At an adjourned meeting on
April 30, 1762 it was voted to lay out the township into one hundred
acre lots.  It was surveyed by Jonathan Livermore, Noah Church and
Isaac McAlister, and on the 22d of November, 1762, the lots were drawn
by the proprietors.  In answer to petitions from the inhabitants, a
confirmatory charter was granted by New Hampshire, December 9, 1776,
the act being opposed by the senate December 13, 1776, giving the
territory the name of Marlborough, or New Marlborough.  This name of
New Marlborough, however, had been in use since 1770, given from the
fact of so many  of the citizens of Marlborough, Mass, being interested
in the land, both as proprietors and settlers.  General use now,
has made it admissible for one to abbreviate words ending on
borough, to boro, a privilege we avail ourselves of, and adopt in this
case.  [Boundaries in original document not included here.].
 In 1766 the first town-meeting was held by the proprietors now
settled at Monadnock No 5. and converned at the house of Isaac
McAllister. The object was to take steps towards laying out roads
through the township from Keene to Dublin, from Keene to Rindge, and
from Swanzey to Fitzwilliam.
 The actual survey gave the town an area of 20,700 acres, but owing
to the annexations of its territory to surrounding towns, it has now
only about 13,000 acres.
 In 1767 the first saw-mill was erected.  We can hardly tell by
whom or just when, but tradition says it was built at the confluence
of the brooks near the school-house in District No. 4, and that
Daniel Harrington controlled it.  During this year, it is said,
Jedediah Maynard put up a frame house on what is known as the
Artis Collins place, and which, in fact, constitutes a part of the
house owned by his descendants at the present time.  Another was built
on the site of the Congregational Church by Abijah Tucker.
 During this or the following year a grist-mill and another saw mill
were built in the north part of the township, on what was afterwards
known as the Richardson Brook.  This was the first grain-mill in this
region.  Previously, the settlers had been obliged to go six and more
miles to get their grain ground.  
 In 1769 the proprietors felt the time had come to direct their
hands and hearts toward building a meeting-house. They made it binding
on every owner of land to bear his share of expense. The outside was
not boarded until 1774, and it was not furnished with glass
windows and hinged doors until about 1790, when it was regarded
complete.  It was not supplied with stoves until 1823.  Its belfry
was added in 1834, and the first bell of the town pealed out....
In 1778 the first minister, Rev. Joseph Cummings of Topsfield, Mass
was settled in town.

The surface of the town is broken and uneven, which, still further
varied by lakelet and stream, makes up some truly beautiful scenery.
There are areas of alluvial land, however, having an excellent soil.
But the soil in general is better adapated to grazing than tillage,
though cultivation is rewarded with fair crops of Indian corn, oats,
potatoes, rye and barley.  There are many streams, of which the larger
are Minniwawa brook and South Branch. The latter falls over the rocks
a short distance above the village, making a very beautiful cascade.
Of the several ponds, Stone pond lying in the eastern part of the town
is the largest.  It is about three-fourths of a mile in length by one-
third of a mile in width, surrounded by exquisite natural scenery.
Cummings pond in the northern part of the town, is about the same
size, perhaps a trifle wider, though it was doutbless at one time
much larger than it now is.  Clapp pond, in the northern part of
the town, is not as large as the others, but is much more depressed,
while its waters are not so clear.  Meeting-house pond, just south of
the central part of the town, near where the old-meeting house stood,
has an area of about a hundred acres, including the open water and the
part covered by bog.  All of these ponds are well supplied with fish
of various kinds.  The geological formation of the territory is made
up mostly of primite rock, granite predominating.  The drift or loose
formation is composed largely of silicates.  The deposits give
evidence of glacial, aqueous and iceberg action.  The minerals consist
mainly of granite, gneiss, granular and rose quartz, feldspar, mica,
beryl, garnets and plumbago.  The sedimentary rocks are made up of
sand, clay and peat.  The Manchester & Keene railroad passes through
the northern part of the town, and the Cheshire road through the
southwester part.

In 1880 Marlboro had a population of 1,275 souls.  In 1884 it had
eight school district and eleven different public schools, four of
whom were graded.  Its eight school-houses, including sites, furniture,
etc. are valued at $9, 025.  There are 281 pupils, taught by one
male and sixteen female teachers, the former receiving an average
monthly salary of $48, and the latter $25.  The entire amount of
revenue for school purposes was $2,360.08 while the entire expenditure
for the year was $2,345.05 with Rev. J.L. Merrill and R.T. Polk,
superintendents.

MARLBORO is a handsome post village, located in the northwestern part
of the town.  It has, aside from its many private residences, three
churches (Congregational, Universality, and Methodist), one hotel,
two general stores, a hardware store, furniture store, shoe store,
grocery, barber shop, confectionery store, a town hall, Odd Fellows
hall, a foundry and machine shop, pail factory, two box factories,
toy manufactory, three saw-mills, a grist-mill, yarn manufactory,
knob manufactory, two blanket factories, two woolen mills, two
blacksmith shops, two wheelwright shops, three cobbler shops,
a livery stable and meat market.

MARLBORO DEPOT (p.o.) is a small village and station on the Cheshire
railroad in the southwestern part of the town.

THE FROST FREE LIBRARY--the town has a fine public library, founded by
RUfus S. Frost, in 1865, who donated $15,000 for the purpose.  Of this
amount $7,000 were devoted to the erection of a substantial granite
building, $3,000 more were used in the purchase of books, and the
remainer placed at interest, the revenue therefrom to be used in
sustaining the library and in the purchase of new books.

THE cHESHIRE BLANKET CO--whose mills are located at the village, was
organized in the spring of 1873, the proprietors being C.O. WHitney
and W.H. Clark.  Their main building is a wood structure 72x65 feet,
two stories in height and contains five sets of machinery.  Their No. 2
mill is of wood, 40x45 feet, two stories, and has two sets of
machinery.  They have also two store-houses of wood, and a picker and
boiler house, of brick.  They use both steam and water-power, employ
90 hands in the manufacture of blankets and satinet goods, turning
out $150,000 worth per annum.

THE MONADNOCK BLANKET CO.--located at the village was incorporated in
1869, with a capital of $20,000, which, about five years later, was
increased to $30.000.  The first officers were W.H. Wilkinson,
president; S.S. Wilkinson, clerk and treasurer; and Charles Shrigley,
superintendent.  They purchased of Thurston & Wilkinson the stone
mill erected for a saw and grist-mill by Charles Holman, about 1840,
which they converted into a blanket mill, with two sets of machinery.
In 1877 they doubled their capacity, and now have four sets of cards,
four jacks and thirty looms.  They manufacture street and stable
blankets of medium grades, turning out about 1,500 bales of fifty
blankets each per annum, employing fiften hands.  The present officers
of the concern are W.H. Wilkinson of Springfield, president; S.S.
Wilkinson of Keene, treasurer; and E.P. Richardson of Marlboro,
superintendent.

GEORGE F. WINCH'S PAIL-FACTORY is located at the village. It was
purchased by his father, Nathan, of Dea. Simeon Whitcomb in 1852.
He sold a half interest to William Nason in 1867, and the remainder
to Hosea Knight at a subsequent date.  At a later date he again became
owner o the works and was connected with the business until 1879,
when he sold out to his son.  Mr. Winch employs fifteen hands and
manufactures about 150,000 pails and buckets per annum.

THE THURSTON MANUFACTURING CO, located at the village was organized in
1868, for the manufacture of picture knobs, door-stops, furniture
fenders, clothes and hat pins, etc.

THE O.R. WISWALL SAW-MILL AND bOX FAcTORY, located on road 4, was
built by John Collins, about 1850, and came into Mr. Wiswall's
possession in 1869.  The establishment employes twenty hands and can
turn out 800 lock-corner packing-boxes per day.  Mr. Wiswall died early
in 1885.

LUTHER HEMENWAY located at the village, employs 5 men in the
manufacture of boxes, toys and wagon jacks.

JAMES TOWNSEND'S YARN AND HOSIERY MANUFAcTORY, located at the village,
has been operated by him since July 4, 1837. He makes 7,000 pounds of
yarn per year.

E. WILLARD MASON'S CARRIAGE SHOP, located at the village, was
originally established by Rollins & Mason.  Mr. Mason became sole
owner in 1879, and has conducted the business alone since.

F & G A. Sherman's sash and blind factory, located at Marlboro Depot,
was established by them in the autumn of 1883.  They employ twelve
men and do about $1,000 worth of business per month.

C. HODGKINS & SON, located at the village, are engaged in the
manufacture of all kinds of wood-working machinery.  The business was
established by Charles Buss and was purchased by Mr. Hodgkins in 1880.
They employ 12 men.

J. & L. KNOWLTON'S PAIL AND BUCKET FACTORY, located at the village,
was estabished by them in 1861.  They employ fiften men and
manufacture 170,000 pails and 5,000 sap buckets per year.

JARVIS ADAMS'S BOX FACTORY, located at Lowellville, gives employment
to twelve men and turns out 200,000 boxes per year.

MILES F. CUDWORTH'S SAW-MILL, on road 9, gives employment to eight
men and cuts about 300,000 feet of lumber per annum.

LEVI A. FULLER'S SAW-MILL AND BOX-FACTORY, on road 8, was built by
him in 1872-73.  He gives employment to from 12 to 20 men in getting
out lumber and chair-stock and in manufacturing boxes.

D.R. & F.A. COLE'S GRIST-MILL, on road 7, corner of 4, was built by
Jesse Collins about 1835, and was purchased by the present owners
January 1, 1885.  It has three runs of stones and dones both custom
and merchant work.

A.G. MANN'S GRANITE QUARRY, located on road 10, was opened about forty
years ago.  Mr. Mann, a resident of Worcester, Mass, employes about
fiften men in getting out granite.

EARLY SETTLERS OF THE TOWN:
 The first settler in the town was WILLIAM BARKER, a native of
Westboro, Mass, who located in what is now Westhill, in Troy.  He
came on in 1761, selected the place for his future home, and came back
again in 1762, and commenced a clearing.  He seems not to have done
much from that time until 1764, however, when he again came on from
Massachusetts, enlarged his clearing, built a log house, and made
arrangements for bringing on his family, which he accordingly did that
autumn, arriving here on the 17th of September.  Soon after, Isaac
McAlister, who had previously built a log house on the farm now owned
by Ansel Nye, brought his family on, consisting of his wife--a sister
of Mrs. Brown--and four children.  These two families consisting of
eleven persons, were all the inhabitants residing in the township
during the winter of 1764-1765.  In 1865 Amos Fife located in the part
of the town subsequently set off to Troy.  Benjamin Tucker and his
wife and seven children settled on the place subsequently owned by
Tarbell & Whitney.  Daniel Goodenow and his wife and four or five
children, from Marlboro, Mass, and Abel Woodward and family, also
located where the village now is.  No settlers are known to have come
in during 1766, but in 1767 the census returns show the town to have
had a population of 93 souls, as follows: nine unmarried men between
the ages of sixteen and sixty; sixteen married men between the ages
of sixteen and sixty; twenty-five males under sixteen years of age;
one over sixty; twenty-fix unmarried females; and sixteen married
females.

IN 1770 the town had the following list of settlers, all of whom,
except the five marked with a star, having families:--
Thomas Riggs            Jonathan Shaw
Joshua Tucker           Jonah Harrington
James Tiffany           *Silas Hooker
Richard Tozer           James Crossman
*William Adams          *Thaddeus Hastings
Joseph Peck             James Brewer
John Felton             Benjamin Tucker Jr.
Isaac McAlister         Richard Roberts
Abel Woodward           *Stephen Church
David Warren            Samuel Bishop
Benedict Webber         Daniel Goodenow
Benjamin Tucker         Joseph Collins
*Silas Fife             William Barker
Jonathan Goodenow

The first town meeting was held March 11, 1777, when Thomas Riggs was
chosen moderator; David Wheeler clerk; Capt. James Lewis, treasurer;
Capt. James Lewis, Lieutenant Eliphalet Stone, and Richard Tozer,
selectmen; Abel Woodward, constable; Daniel Cutting, William Tiney,
Phineas Parks, and Theodore Mann,, surveyors.  Silas Fife and
Jedediah Taintor tythingmen; David Denfor and Samuel Bishop, deer
reeves; Richard Roberts, Eliphalet Stone, David Wheeler and Reuben
Ward, hog reeves; James Lewis, David Wheeler, Thomas Riggs, Olivers
Wright and Benoni Robens, committee of safety; and Richard Atwell,
Jedediah Taintor, Jonathan Goodenow and Thaddeus Hastings, fence
viewers.  Up to the incorporation of the town in 1775, the public
interests were controlled by the proprietors.  After that they
continued to hold meetings from time to time until 1801, when having
discharge all their debts, etc. their papers were delivered over to
the town, and their organization was dissolved.  The first saw-mill
was built by DANIEL HARRINGTON in 1767, at the junction of the
brooks, south of the school-house in District No. 4.  In the autumn
of that year, also, the first two frames houses were built.  The
first of these was erected by Jedediah Maynard, on the farm now owned
by Ivory E. Gates and is the eastern half of Mr. Gate's houses.
The second is that of Abijah Tucker, and was located on the site of
the Congregational meeting-house.  A short time after this, John
Collins built a saw and grist-mill in the northern part of the town,
on Richardson brook, near the bridge east of the place where Stillman
Richardson now lives.  This was the first grist-mill erected in
town.  Not far from this time, also Abijah Tucker built a saw and
grist-mill on the site of the mill now owned by the Monadnock Blanket
Company.  The erection of these two mills did much toward advancing
the settlement of the town.  The hotel, or inn, was kept by Benjamin
Tucker in 1769.  The first store was opened by Joseph Sweetser in
1792.  The first physician was Dr. Justus Perry, who settled here in
1786.


REVOLUTIONARY WAR
As early in the Revolutionary contest as 1775, at least six of
Marlboro's scanty population joined the continental army, viz:
Moses Tucker, Timothy Rogers, Robert Worsley, Daniel Collins,
Lieutenant James Brewer and Pearson Newell.  [A second account states
it sent to the Battle of Bunker Hill, the 17th of June 1775 the
following: Moses Tucker, Timothy Rodgers, Robert Worseley, Daniel
Collins, Lieutenant James Brown and Pearson Newell].

In a report made by the selectmen on the 3d of October of that year,
however, the number is given as sixteen "out of which number two are
dead." Among the others who went to war were the following:
William Barker, Richard Atwell, David Lawrence, Benjamin Goodenow,
Abel Woodard, Peter Tozer, Daniel Goodenow, Jonah Harrington,
Colvin Goodenow, Frederick Freeman, Reuben McAlister, Adine Goodenow,
Jabez McBride, Captain James Lewis, Lieutenant Richard Roberts,
Ensigh [sic Ensign] Oliver Wright, Sergeant John Roers, John Felton,
Moses Tucker, Thomas Upham, John Lewis, James Bemis, Elijah Park,
James Flood, Robert Converse, James Dean, Samuel Bishop Jr.,
John Tozer, Richard Tozer,  Eliphalet Stone, Phines Park,
William Tenney, Elnathan Newton, Jedediah Taintor, John Felton,
David Wheeler, Thaddeus Hastings, John McBride, Thomas Riggs,
Abijah Tucker, Shem Kentfield, Shubael Stone, Theodore Mann,
Abraham Brooks, Peter Starkey, Eli Lewis, and Walter Capron.

Another source states, In July 1776, a regiment of NH militia was
raised to increase our army in Canada; but a change was made, so that
it was sent to Ticonderoga to aid in defending that part of our
country.  On the roll of this regiment we find the names ofr
Benjamin Goodenow, Abel Woodward, and Peter Tozer, who enlisted from
Marlborough.  In September of the same year another force was called
for from New Hampshire to reinforce the army in New York, and in
the following December it came under the immediate command of General
Washington.  Among the names from our State we find those of
Daniel Goodenow and Jonah Harrington.

In the Spring of 1777 England decided to invade the States from the
north with seven thousand troops besides a large artillery train
and several tribe of Indians, all under the command of General
Burgoyne.  Accordingly steps were at once taken by the colonists to
enlist men for three years, or during the war. Our State was called
upon to furnish one hundred and nineteen men; the quota for
Marlborough was six.  Colvin Goodenow, Frederick Freeman and Reuben
McAlister enlisted immeidately and the town offered a bounty which
soon induced Adino Goodenow, Timothy Rogers and Jabez McBride to
give in their names, thus meeting the demand made upon our town at
this call.  Peter Tozer joined the army not long after.  These
men were mustered into service and put into Colonel Scammel's
regiment, in which Andrew Colburn, of this town, was lieutenant-
colonel. This force was engaged in the battle of Stillwater, and the
men proved themselves daring and loyal.  Though they were in the
thickest of the battle, they faltered not, but seemed bound to live
or die for their country.  Lieutenant-Colonel Colburn and Frederick
Freeman were killed in battle.

At a call to protect New England from General Burgoyne, under the
command of General John Stark and Col. William Whipple to march
into Vermont, Marlborough sent Isaac McAlister as sergent,
William Tenney as corporal and John Tozer.  These men participated
in the battle at Bennington and in the surrender of Burgoyne.

In 1779 New Hampshire supplied Capt James Lewis and Russell Oliver
to join three Continental batallions.

There were also also thirty-nine Revolutionary soldiers subsequently
settled in the town.

WAR OF 1812
In the war of 1812 there went out from the town eleven men, as
follows [those who were drafted are marked with a star]:
Etheel Parmenter*, Benjamin Fife*, Henry H. Cutler*,
Nathan D. Barker*, Abner Fairbanks*, Moses Perkins, Stephen White,
Ezekiel White, Darius Williams, Aaron Hodgkins and Levi Gates Jr.

WAR OF THE REBELLION (CIVIL WAR)
In the late war, the town furnished, including foreign substitues,
ninety-eight men, and paid in bounties, $10,421.00

Those who joined the Second NH Regiment include: Levi N. Converse,
Daniel B. Woodward, William H. Tenny, James Newell, Merrick H. Ross,
Amaziah Sawtelle, John Totten, Asa M. White, Rhodolphus I. White,
Lucius F. Hunt, Amos L. Corey, Mark Tens Greenwood, Cyrus E. Hardy,
Augustus C. White, Milton G. Razey.  This regiment was engaged in
more than twenty battles and lost in action more than 800 men.  Of
this group, Levi N. Converse enlisted as a private, but was soon
promoted, because of merit, to the rank of Sergeant, and then to that
of lieutenant-coonel.  In the ordeal of Gettysburg he lost his right
arm, and at the battle of Chapin's Farm a minie-ball went through the
roof of his mouth, badly disfiguring his face.  But from these wounds
he remained in the hospital no longer than he was obliged to, before
he was in the active service again, and continued with his regiment
until it was mustered out of service in Concord at the close of the
War.

When the Sixth Regiment was raised in the autumn of 1861, eighteen
men from Marlborough joined it consisting of: Nelson Converse,
Oscar W. Farnum, Calvin Stone, Charles A. Field, F.H. Castone,
John H. Priest, Edward F. Adams, Henry H. Atherton, William A. Russell,
George H. Smith, Thomas L. White, Charles W. Pike, George V.R. Farnum,
Francis M. Farrar, Arculus Vicar, Everett F. Gates, Charles L. Clarke,
and George Tilden.  Nelson Converse, the father of Levi Converse,
served as colonel of this regiment till he was forced to resign from
ill health.  Edward F. Adams was promoted from the ranks to captain.
The regiment experience much hard service in camp and on field.

In 1862 at the raising of the Fourteenth Regiment of three years'
men, the citizens of Marlborough supplied eighteen more soldiers,
whose names are as follows:  James Totten, Nathaniel P. Rust,
Christopher Totten, Theodore Pope, William Collins, Sumner L.
McCollester, Enoch Foster, William H. Pierce, George H. Stone,
Luke Knowlton Jr., George H. Stockwell, Charles A. Mason,
Alphonso A. Adams, Edwin B. Matthews, Perley E. Collins,
Ebenezer T. Greenwood, Delevan C. Richardson, Charles Knowlton.  This
was a marked regiment all through the the war, and the "boys" in it
from Marlborough won lasting honors by their heroism and
Faithful service.  Some of them were killed on the field of battle,
most of them were wounded, several died in hospitals and others were
mustered out of service at the end of the war and are still iving.


******
BIOGRAPHIES OF EARLY SETTLERS AND PROMINENT CITIZENS
******

DUNCAN ABEL BAKER, aka ABEL BAKER was born April 8, 1797 and brought up
on a farm. He attended local schools, and also an academy at New Salem,
Mass, where he studied one term, and began teaching. He married
April 18, 1821 Sarah C. --, and located on a farm in Troy NH, and devoted his attention to agriculture...He served the town some 15 years
as selectman, and represented it in the legislature. He did a large
amount of business in the settlement of estates. He died Sept 26,
1878. [Children include, Mira A., b abt 1832 NH and  Mary, b abt 1837
NH--from 1850 & 1860 US Census of Troy NH]

CHARLES A. BEMIS--born in Marlborough NH Jan 29, 1848, the second born
and first son. After he was 14 he went to only four short terms of
school. He learned to read, write and spell tolerably well, but he was
a stranger to grammer, as his schooling was finished.  But he early
became fascinated with biography and history; and it is said that when
he was but 10 years old he read the history of the town of Dublin,
and from that time felt he could write the history of his native town.
Henceforth he was gathering up facts and incidents for years unknown
to others until about the time that the town of Marlborough celebrated
the hundredth anniversary of its incorporation in 1876.... [He was the
son of Charles R. & Elmira (Parmenter) Bemis of Marlborough and had a
sister, Ellen who prob died unmarried]. According to the 1900 US Census
he was living in Marlborough NH, with Wife Mary L. [b. May 1856 NH],
and children, Nellie Elmira [b 16 Feb 1882 NH], William Rufus [b 18 May
1883 NH], Harry Walton [b. 15 Feb 1888 NH], and Etta May [b 6 Feb 1890
NH], along with his sister Ellen R. Bemis, age 68 and single. From
Ancestry.com it states that he died 16 March 1926 and is buried in Graniteville Cemetery, Marlborough NH; he married 1 Jan 1881 in Whatley
MA to Mary Lestina Phillips. She b 10 May 1856 in Nelson NH, and d. 18
July 1934.

DOLPHUS BIXBY, born in Hillsboro NH, in 1790, has resided with his
son, Russel Bixby for the past 16 years.  Russell came here in 1870.
In the spring of 1881 he made 240 pounds of maple sugar from 17
maples. [From Ancestry.com, he b. 7 Jan 1790; m. Jan 1813 to
Ascsa(h) Carr, who was b. 17 Dec 1793. Had several children including
Henry, Russell, Mansel, John, Nancy, Charles Carr, and Ascha A. He
married 2) after 1864 to Lydia Jones.

ELIJAH BOYDEN, a native of Massachusetts, came to this town in 1806,
and died here July 22, 1814, aged 51 years.  His son, Elijah Boyden,
born here August 15, 1814, began life as a clerk for his brother,
with whom he remained seven years.  He then went to Boston, and
remained about 3 years, when he returned to Marlboro, and was a
merchant here for 15 years.

MARTIN CHASE was born in Unity NH and came to this town in 1869.
He represented the town of Washington in the legislature of 1840,
and now holds the office of justice of the peace.

FULLER CLARK, who has been a resident of the town since January 1826,
was born in Troy in 1804.

OSGOOD COLLESTER was born in Marlborough Feb 12, 1815. He was born
a singer and a musician. He was the youngest of twelve children of
Samuel and Silence Collester. He spent his boyhood on his father's
farm and his youth in his brother, Charles' shoe-shop. When he came
of age, he worked at the shoe-bench, having become a skilled
craftsman. He attended local common schools. He began early to
play the violin and sing. At about the age of 25 he began to give
instruction in vocal music in Marlborough and to lead the choir in
the old church on the hill. He was under the tuition of Lowell Mason
and other distinguished teachers and composers of music.  He became
a pianist in addition to being a violinist. He sang in various churches
in Winchendon, Worcester and Fitchburg MA. He composed many popular
pierces of music and compiled several singing books. He was a popular
instructor in Teachers' Institutes in MA and NH. He died in 1873.

JAIRUS B. COLLINS, M.D., son of Samuel and Lydia (Mathews) Collins,
was born in Marlborough April 21, 1794. He studied medicine with
Dr. Ephraim K. Frost, of Marlboro, and at the completion of his
studies, in 1822, he removed to Londonderry Vt., where he was a
successful physician up to the time of his death, Feb 3, 1851.
 JAIRUS COLLINS [prob son of the above] b. April 13, 1816. For many
years served on the school board. Held the office of justice of the
peace in Marlborough since 1852.

JOHN CONVERSE, a native of Leicester, Mass, came to Marlboro in 1780
and located about half a mile east of the village.  Here he passed
his time as carpenter and joiner, wheelwright and farmer, until his
death, about 1850.
 His son NELSON CONVERSE was born here Oct 10, 1810 and has been
proprietor of the Converse House for the past twenty years.  He is a
justice of the peace, was colonel of the 6th NH Vols, has been deputy
sheriff many years, represented the town in 1855-56, and has been
selectman two or three years. He married Sep 10, 1829 to Sally M.
Jones.  His mother died when he was 4 years of age, and had been
placed in the family of a sister. He also lived in Newport Vt. He was
engaged in the mill business in company with his brother Gilman
Converse. He later engaged in Stone-quarying.  His first wife dying
in 1872, in 1873 he married, for his second, Mrs. Fannie M. Everett
of Fitzwilliam; for the last 10 years he kept a public-house for the
accomodation of travelers, but sold not intoxicating liquors.
 JOHN WILLIE CONVERSE, son of Nelson and Sallie M. (Jones) Converse,
was born in Marlborough NH July 3, 1848. He studied in local schools
and in seminaries in Vermont, Maine and NH. When about 21 years of
age he commenced the study of law at home, under the direction of the
late law-firm of Wheeler & Faulkner of Keene NH, and when he became of
age, removed to Springfield MA where he continued his studies for
2 years in the office of Augustus L. Soule--later judge of the
Supreme Court of Massachusetts--and in 1872 was admitted to the bar
of that state.  The following year he became engaged to, and married,
Miss Clara A. Wheeler, a woman of uncommon merit and ability; but she
died in May 1875.  In 1876 he travelled West, and visited the
principal cities, but finally settled in Boston MA, where he is now
practicing his profession.

REV. CHARLES CUMMINGS, son of Rev. Joseph and Anna Cummings, was born
in Seabrook NH Sept 23, 1777. At the age of 2 years his parents removed
to Marlborough, where he passed his childhood. He was married in 1798,
and settled in Sullivan [NH] and became the father of several children,
among whom one was Mrs. Elijah Boyden. In 1805 he was licensed to
preach by the Baptist board of ministers, and received ordination in
1810 in Sullivan NH, where he formed a church.  He was instrumental in
organizing churches in Keene, Swanzey, Marlborough, Peterborough,
Hillsborough, Lyndeborough and Antrim, and preached more or less in
other towns in Sullivan, Hillsborough, and Merrimack counties. In 1820
he was called to domestic missionary work.  The last few years of his
life he labored in Pottersville, and died in Roxbury NH December 27,
1849, aged 72 years.

ISAAC DAVIS, the seventh son of a seventh son, and hence called
Doctor, immigrated from Massachusetts to Roxbury [NH] while that town
was still a wilderness, residing there until his death in 1840.
His son, JOSHUA DAVIS, was born there in 1796 and died July 2, 1862,
while JOSHUA'S son, GEORGE G. DAVIS, born in Roxbury [NH]
August 28, 1842 has been a resident of Marlboro since 1859.  He is
engaged in mercantile pursuits, has served as state senator from the
14th district, and was in the late war a year and a half.

EDWIN DAVIS, son of Jonah and Sarah (Wilkinson) Davis was born
May 8, 1821. He left home at the age of 14 to attend Melville
Academy in Jaffrey. For several years he spent most of his time in
academies, pursuing the sciences, mathematics, English and classical
literature.  At the age of 17 he first taught school in Swanzey NH.
He entered the theological course under the direction of Rev. William
N. Barber and Rev. C. Woodhouse. He was ordained to work of the
gospel ministry at the annual convention of the Universalists at
Winchester June 19, 1845.  In 1845 he removed to Richmond NH where he
remained 5 years. In 1850 he removed to Hinsdale NH, and also preached
in West Brattleborough and Vernon, Vt., in Northfield MA and
West Swanzy NH.  His father died 24 March 1856, and he moved to
Marlborough NH.  In 1857 he settled in Paper Mill Village, Alstead NH
where he remained 4 years.  In 1861 he settled in Methuen MA to preach,
and afterwards to South Acton, and in 1870 to Canton MA (for 9 years).
He married and had at least oneson and two daughters (one son
graduated in 1878 from the Medical School of Boston University and
was a practicing physician in Quincy MA, and the other son was a
graduate of TUfts College and Boston Dental College, and was a dentist
in Boston MA).

HON. GEORGE G. DAVIS--reared in Roxbury NH; enlisted during the Civil
War. Was sounded at the battle of Williamsburg and was obliged to be
discharged from the army. He came to Marlborough NH and married
Miss Maria L. COllins and settled here. He was town clerk, treasurer,
etc. He was born August 28, 1842.  He represented the town in the
legislature, has been a State Senator from his district, and at the
present time is an officer on the Governor's staff. In religion he
is a Congregationalist; in politics a Republican.

PHINEAS FARRAR, son of Josiah and Hannah Farrar, was born in Sudbury,
Mass., came to Marlboro in 1768, and died here at the age of 94
years.  His son, William Farrar, a native of the town, died at the
age of 81 years.  Calvin Farrar, son of William, resides on road 9.
 LUTHER FARRAR, son of Phinehas and Lovina (Warren) Farrar, was born
in Marlborough Jan 11, 1778. He chose law as his profession and
settled in Maine. He died at Norway, Me April 28 1812.

SILAS FIFE, of Boulton, Mass, arrived in 1765. He pitched his camp
at the foot of the Monadnock Mountain, on what was afterwards
known as the Deacon Barker place. In the course of a few summers he
converted a portion of the wildnerness into a farm, where he was
raising corn and potatoes; and, he had built a good log house. He
returned to his native town, and took for his bride, Abigail Houghton.
They were wedded in Boston, and then made their wedding tour to their
new home in Marlboro.

ELIJAH FITCH, a blacksmith by trade, and a native of Marlboro,
married Eliza Josly, and died August 4, 1876, aged 64 years.
His widow survives him, a resident of the village, where their son
Murray Fitch also resides.

LEVI A. FULLER--born May 4, 1836. Engaged in manufacturing wooden-ware
and dealing in lumber. Served the town as selectman, representative to
the legislature and was a county commissioner. A member of the
Congregational church, holding the office of deacon since 1874.

ELIJAH GATES was born in Stowe, Mass, in 1765, came to Marlboro in
1800 settled where his son Elijah Gates now resides, and died here
in 1824.  He latter was born here June 17, 1801, in the house he
still occupies.

LEVI GATES came to Marlboro with his father, from Massachusetts, about
the year 1805, locating in the southern part of the town. He died about
1860, aged 69 years.  His son, Winslow L. Gates, is still a resident
of the town.

DANIEL GOODENOW arrived in 1765.  Of noble stock, he came from
Marlborough, Mass.  Where he first resided is not known, but
probably in that part of the town which was afterwards set off as
Troy.  He brought with him a wife and several children.

ASA GREENWOOD, was not a native of Marlborough, but he moved here in
1836, and began to put up stone structures.  Nearly all the granite
buildings and bridges in this vicinity were erected by him. In 1853 he
removed to Illinois where he resided until 1877, when he came to
Dummerston Vt to visit his son, Colonel W.H. Greenwood, and so, with
him, he was permitted to visit Marlboro and also Dublin NH, and on his
return to his son's, he sickened and passed away at the ripe age of
four-score years.  His remains were brought to Marlborough, and his
funeral service held in the church he built (Graniteville Cemetery).

DR. GEORGE L. HARRINGTON, son of Leonard B. and Eunice G. Harrington,
was born in Winchendon, Mass November 11, 1844....He became a
medical student in the office of Prof. Walter Carpenter of Burlington,
Vt. In due time he entered the Medical Department of the Vermont
University and graduated in course M.D. In the winter of 1872 he
settled in Marlboro as a physician.

REV. OSGOOD HERRICK, son of Ebenezer and Lydia (Eaton) Herrick, was
born in Marlborough Nov. 19, 1799. He worked upon his father's farm
until the age of 15, when he was placed in a store in Keene, where he
remained until he was 21. In 1818 he became united with the Congre-
gational Church in Keene. In 1821 he began the study of Latin, and
in the fall of 1822 was admitted to Dartmouth College, from which he
graudated in 1826. The following year he taught in the state of
Virginia.  In 1827 he entered Andover Theological Academy where he
remained 3 years.  On leaving the seminary he became pastor of the
Congregational Church in Milbury, 9 Dec 1830, and was ordained and
intalled over that church and society.  Ten days later he married
Miss Emily Wilder, of Keene. He died at Milbury, MA March 16, 1837.

LUTHER HEMENWAY was born in Framingham, Mass in 1787, and came to
Marlboro with his parents when but six months old, his mother bearing
him with her on horse-back, making their way by the aid of marked
trees.  He died in Jaffrey in 1872.  His son, Luther Hemenway, has
served the town as selectman six terms, and is engaged in a
manufacturing business.

CURTIS F. HUNT, born in Hancock, Hillsborough Co in 1812, came to
Marlboro in 1832, where he has since resided.

JAMES KNOWLTON was born in Dublin NH Dec 28, 1885. FOr years in the
winter he taught in the public schools.  His house is on the
boundary between Marlborough and Keene NH [so that he sleeps in the
latter place and votes there, but lives in the former]. He is now
engaged in getting out lumber and manufacturing pails.

TIMOTHY L. LANE, M.D., son of John and Mary (Livingston) Lane was born
in Marlborough Sept 1, 1800. He studied medicine with Dr. Batcheller.
Attended school, first at Groton, MA, afterwards at Dartmouth College
in Hanover NH, where he graduated in medicine in 1824. He located
first at Sullivan in 1825; removed to Lunenburg Vt in 1832, remained
there until 1834 when he went to Gilsum NH, where he lived until 1838;
from thence to Daysville IL; practiced medicine there until 1841, and
then removed to Fillmore, IL and continued the practice of his
profession until his death, September 4, 1849.

SAMUEL J. MARTIN, son of Jefferson and Rhoda (Davis) Martin was born
in Weston, Windham Co VT, September 9, 1830.  When three years of age
his parents removed to Mount Holly, Rutland Co VT where he received
his early education, dividing his time between his studies and farm
work. Previous to his 17th year his help was much needed at home, and
consequently he had limited advantages for study.  At this time,
however, he entered Black River Academy at Ludlow, Vt. and spent two
terms each year during two years, and for the next four years studied
at the same place during one term of each.  His studies during this
time were confined to the English branches; but he afterwards spent
two terms at Chester Academy, and there pursued the study of Latin
with other higher branches, earning money to defray his expenses by
teaching penmanship and day-school.  After leaving school he engaged
in teaching, and continued it with the exception of one year--when he
was in poor health--until his 28th year.  He early developed a taste
for the medical profession, but in his desire to enter it was
opposed by his father, who preferred that he should become a farmer.
Accordingly at the age of 28, he yielded to his father's wishes and
purchased a farm with money a part of which he had earned by teaching.
At the end of one year, becoming dissatisfied with farming, he
began the study of medicine at home under the direction of A.E.
Horton MD, of Mount Holly.  One year later he sold his farm and gave
his entire attention to his studies, and after three years study
and taking two full courses of lectures graduated from the Eclectic
Medical College in Philadelphia  He began his practice in February
1863 at Marlborough and remained there until April 1866 doing a
successful practice, and at that time removed to Walpole NH, and there,
in addition to his practice, he opened a drug-store with another
gentleman, who managed the latter business, while he devoted himself
chiefly to his profession.  At the end of eighteen months, having
lost everything, he closed out his interest in the drug-store and
gave himself unremittingly to his studies and practice.
 The force of circumstances induced him to investigate the subject
of homeopathy, and at the end of one year's observation and careful
thought, he embraced the principles of that school.  Not having
recovered from his failure in the drug business, and desiring a
larger field of action, he removed to the West in 1869.  After
spending four months looking for a place to settle, he established
himself at Racine, Wis., where he has since resided, building up an
extensive practice and making for himself a most worthy reputation
as a skillful practitioner.  During his residence in Marlborough he
was elected superintendent of public schools.  He has filled the
office two terms as vice-president and one term as president of the
Homoepathic Medical Society of the State of Wisconsin.  He is also
a member of the American Institute of Homeopathy and the Illinois
Homeopathic Medical Association.

CLARK MASON was born here April 16, 1794, removed to Oswego county
NY in 1817, remained until 1824, then came back to Marlboro, and
died here in August 1861.  His grandson, Warren W. Mason, son of
William C. Mason, is superintendent of Hale's Chair Factory, at
South Keene.
 JOSEPH C. MASON, son of Clark and Almira (Towns) Mason was born at
the old homestead March 13, 1837. He attended common schools. Later in
life he devote considerable time to the study of languages, sciences
and advanced mathematics. He received a legal education at the Law
College in Albany NY and in the office of Dearborn & Scott,
distinguished attorneys of Peterborough NH. He was admitted to the bar
in September 1864 at Nashua NH at a session of the Supreme Judicial
Court. He practiced his profeesion at Mason village (now Greenville)
NH, nearly 3 years, and then removed to Missouri, where he has for the
most part resided.  He held the office of superintending school
committee at Mason village, and in 1866 was appointed by the Governor
of New Hampshire to the office of common school commissioner of
Hillsborough County, and was ex officio member of the State Board of
Education.  During the war he was an earnest advocate of the Union
cause.  After his removal to Missouri, he held the office of the
principal of the Washington Public School, St. Louis; superintendent
of public schools at Boonville, Carthage and Joplin, which last-named
position he still holds.
 SUMNER A. MASON, M.D., fifth son of Clark and Almira (Towns) Mason,
was born at the old homestead May 23, 1838, where he continued to
reside until 21 years of age, where he attended common schools and
became a student of Sullivan H. McCollester in Westmoreland Valley
Seminary until the outbreak of the Civil War. He enlisted with the
first three month's troops sent from NH, as a private in Company A,
Cheshire Light Guards, as named by Captain Barker, which afterwards
became a part of the "Fighting Second." He went from Keene to
Portsmouth, where the regiment rendezvoused [sic] for some weeks,
and emcamped upon the ground.  The exposure, together with a severe
attack of confluent measles, broke up his health for a long time,
and confined him to the hospital. After a partial convalescence,
he returned home, and his brother Charles took his place. In the
winter of 1864-65 he spent in Philadelphia, for the purpose of
attending medical lectures. During the two years and upwards he spent
in that city he studied medicine in the office of Henry T. Child, MD,
634 Race Street, a QUaker gentleman.... In the spring of 1865 he
visited Washington and Alexandria under the auspices of the Christian
Commission, where he was detailed to visit various camps and hospitals
in and about those cities.  He remained here until the 3 of July,
when he was ordered to visit City Point, Va. In residing there he made
the acquaintance of his wife, who had been a nurse in the hospitals,
and who, in turn, nursed him. She was the only child of Lurad C.
Heath, a lineal descendant of General Heath of NH; and as they
journeyed together on horseback over those bloody fields.. they
concluded that the journey of life would be incomplete unless they
travelled together.  Miss Heath was seven years his junior, and a
graduate of Rockland Female institute.  After a few months, he
returned to Philadelphia, where under the tuition of Dr. Child, he
graduated in 1868, an allopathic physician. He practiced only a few
months in Philadelphia, when he removed to New York City, where he
achieved considerable success during the ensuing years, and where
he still resides.

CHARLES R. MASON--When a young man Mr. Mason had the misfortune to
lose an arm, but it would seem this had been made up to him, from the
fact that he has done so far as much as ordinarily falls to the lot
of one man to do.  He is a native of Dublin and was educated in her
schools.  Naturally gifted as to art, after his loss he devoted
special attention to penmanship and drawing, so that he excelled in
both and has taught writing for years. He is a fine accountant and
book-keeper. He has filled many important offices in town, with credit
to all.  He is now justice of the peace, and was United States
assistant assessor for 6 years. He was born July 27, 1830. He is one
that thinks more than he says, and does as he agrees...

ZIBA MASON settled at an early date upon the farm now owned by George
F. Wise, where he died about 1845.  His son, Ziba Mason, born on the
old place, died here about 1862, aged 63 years.  The latter's son,
William M. Mason, born on the old homestead, is now a merchant of
Marlboro and represented the town 1865-66.

ISAAC McALLISTER, born September 25, 1736, married Hannah, daughter of
William and Keziah (Cloyes) Goddard, born January 27, 1736. He was
one of the proprietors of Monadnock No. 5, and as such he took an
active part in the affairs of the town; and it is said that he
rendered assistance in the survey of the township, and for his services
took his pay in land.  His name appears on the proprietor's books as
one of a committee of three to lay out and clear a road from Dublin
to Keene in 1763.  He was the second settler in town, removing his
family here in the winter of 1764-65.  He first located on the farm
now owned by Ansel Nye.  But it seems he was not contented with this
location, and sold his farm to Jonathan Frost, taking his pay in
Continental money.  It was his intention to purchase the Converse
place, now owned in part by Rev. S.H. McCollester; but in this he was
disappointed, and, before an opportunity presented itself for him to
buy, his money had so depreciated that he became peniless, and was
obliged to clear up and settle his only remaining lot, which is now
known as the Sawyer place, and owned at the present time by
Abraham Corey, then considered worthless.  Here he continued to reside
until his death, June 8, 1809.  His widow died March 3, 1814.

REV. SULLIVAN H. McCOLLESTER- Isaac McCollester, first of the family in
Marlborough was born in 1736 and was one of the proprietors of
Monadnock, and took an active part in the affairs for the town, and was
paid in land for his services in the survey of the township. He was the
second settler of Marlborough (Isacc), removing here in the winter of
1864-65, and was a resident until his death, June 8, 1809.  Samuel-2,
his son, married Silence Belknap and settled on the homestead.  
Silas-3 married Achsah Holman and resided for many years on the farm
now owned by Dr. McCollester, where he died December 26, 1873.
 Rev. Sullivan, H. McCollester, D.D., son of Silas & Achsah (Holman)
McCollester, and grandson of Isaac, was born in Marlborough NH,
December 18, 1826. He worked on the farm during the summer and
attended local schools in the winter. He attended seminaries and
academies in Swanzey, Dublin, Jaffrey, Winchedon MA, and Brattleboro,
Vt and was well fitted for college. At the age of 18 he commenced
teaching at Richmond, later Walpole.  In the winter of 1847 he
entered Norwich (Vt) University, and graudated in the summer of 1851,
having completed the classical course. November 23, 1852 he married
Sophia F. Knight, daughter of Joel Knight of Dummerston Vt. Mrs.
McCollester was a good scholar, and successful teacher at Melrose
Academy, Vt.  He is a graduate of Cambridge Divinity school, and was
given the degree of D.D. by the St. Lawrence university in June 1874.  
Mr. McCollester has travelled extensively and is widely known as an
educator. In 1853 he was in charge of Mount Caesar Seminary in
Swanzey NH. He is now a  resident of Dover NH, though he still owns a
part of the ancestral estate.
 LEE SULLIVAN McCOLLESTER--He is the son of Rev. Dr. S.H. &
Sophia F. McCollester and was born in Westmoreland NH June 5, 1859.
Before he was 3 his parents removed to Westbrook Me where they resided
until he was 10, then lived in Nashua NH more than 3 years where he
attended his first school, and became fitted for high school. As his
father was called to the presidency of Buchtel College, and his
family removed to Akron, Ohio, Lee entered the preparatory department
of the college in 1873, and became fitted for college and was
matriculated into the freshman class in 1876, where he remained until
he had completed his sophomore year, when, accompanying his parents,
he visited Europe, where he passed a year in London University and
in travel.  Upon his return home, he entered Tufts College, as a
junior 1879, and was graudated Bachelor of Arts in 1881, having taken
two prizes in his course.  In the fall of 1881 he began his
theological studies at Tufts Divinity School, and was graduated
Bachelor of Divinity, having won two prizes in this course. Immediately
upon leaving college in 1884, he settled as a pastor over the
Universalist Church of Claremont NH. In August of the same year
he was married to Miss Lillian Adelle, daughter of Dr. Samuel G. and
Louisa B. Wright, a young woman of rare qualities of mind and heart.
For a year they have settled, greatly loved and respected by their
people and by all knowing them.  August 26, 1885, he became sorely
afflicted through the death of his devoted and accomplished wife...

JOHN QUINCY ADAMS McCOLLESTER, M.D., son of Silas and Achsah (Holman)
McCollester, was born in Marlborough near the Roxbury line on May 3,
1831.  In 1836 the family removed to the village. From age 4 to 10
he attended district school. In 1846 he attended a select school in
Marlborough taught by Ransom N. and Royal H. Porter, and attended
other schools and academies in Fitzwilliam, Walpole, Saxton's River
and South Woodstock. He was often associated with his brother.
Rev. Sullivan H. McCollester, as an assistant teacher. In 1848-49 he
taught school in "Fay Hill" District of Walpole.  In 1851 he passed
an examination and was admitted to the Norwich University (Norwich Vt)
where he graduated in 1853.  In 1856 he received the degree of A.M.
from that institution.  He entered the office of Dr. James Batcheller,
of Marlborough, as a student of medicine. He attended one course of
medical lectures at Dartmouth Medical School, and for 5 months in 1855
was employed as an assistant in the hospital at Deer Island, Boston
Harbor.  He went to Philadelphia in Oct 1855, attended the course of
lectures delivered at the Jefferson Medical College during the winter
of 1855-56 and received the degree of MD from this institution in
March 1856.  In May 1856 he married Miss Sarah E. Hazen, of Shirley,
Mass, and during the same month settled in South Deerfield.  In
November of the same year he moved to Groton Junction (now known as
Ayer) MA. On 28 Aug 1857, his dau Anna was born, and on 5 May 1858 his
wife died. 9 Aug 1859 he married 2) Georgianna L. Hunt, who bore him
six children, 3 of whom now survived.
 In May 1862 he volunteered his services as a medical officer, and
was employed as a surgeon in the field and in the hospital during and
subsequent to the disastrous campaign of McClellan on the Peninsula.
In Nov 1862 he was commissioned surgeon of the 53rd Regiment Mass Vols,
and was on duty with the regiment during its active service in
Louisiana.  He was mustered out at the expiration of the term of
service of the regiment, Sep 2, 1863.   He resumed his practice at
Groton Junction.  He was appointed examining surgeon for United States
invalid pensioners in 1864, which office he held until 1876. He
served seven years on the board of the school committee of Groton MA,
and 2 years in Harvard MA (same position) in which town he has
resided since April 1869. He is a charter member of Caleb Butler Lodge
of A.F. & A. Masons, and is one of its past masters.

SAMUEL J. MARTIN, son of Jefferson and Rhoda (Davis) Martin, was born
in Weston, Windham Co VT, September 9, 1830. WHen three years of age
he moved to Mount Holly, Rutland Co VT where he received his early
education, dividing his time between his studies and farm work.
Previous to his 17th year, his held was needed at home, and he
consequently had lmited advantages for study.  At this time, however,
he entered Black River Academy at Ludlow Vt and spent two terms earch
year during two years, and for the next four years studied at the same
place during one term of each.. afterwards spent two terms at Chester
Academy. He studied medicine at home under the direction of A.E. Horton
MD of Mount Holly, followed by 3 years of study and two full courses of
lectures from the Eclectic Medical College of Philadelphia.  He began
his practice in February 1863 at Marlborough, and remained there until
April 1866 removing to Walpole NH where he opened a drug store. In
1869 he moved west, settled at Racine< Wis. where he resided.

DR. NATHANIEL H. MERRIAM was born in Chelsea, Mass, October 24, 1854,
but his father's family soon removed to Lexington Mass where they
now reside.  He graduated at Phillips Academy, Andover in 1874,
and entered Amherst College in the class of 1878. His college course
was interrupted by sickness, which became so persistent that he was
obliged to abandon his graduation and remain at home for a
considerable time.  At the famous celebration of the centennial of the
battle of Lexington, in 1875, he was on the staff of Colonel W.A.
Tower, chief marshal of escort for President U.S. Grant. At an early
age he chose the profession of his late uncle, Dr. Nathaniel W.
Merrimam, of Maryland, and began his studies with the late Dr.
Currier, a physician of note in Lexington.  In 1876 he travelled in
Great Britain and the Continent, returning with improved health;
attended lectures at Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard
University.  In 1878 he entered Dartmouth Medical College, where
his abilities attracted attention, and he was appointed assistant to
the chair of surgery, then occupied by Professor P.S. Conner, of
Cincinnati, graduating in 1880.  He married Miss E. L. Cottrell,
daughter of Asa Cottrell, Esq. of Lexington, and entered into active
practice in Marlborough NH in 1880.  He is a member of the NH State
Medical Association, and served as delegate from that society to the
American Medical Association at Washington in 1884, and is a member
of that body.  He enjoys a large and successful practice in
Marlborough, especially in surgery to which he is enthusiastically
devoted.

CYRUS SIDNEY MOORS--He was born July 5, 1832 in Jaffrey NH. He was a
reliable and industrious boy, making the most he could out of his
meagre school advantages.  While a mere youth his father was
accidentally killed and so left the care and responsibility of a farm
upon him, and his brother LOREN L. MOORS.  Cyrus Sidney Moore was able
to attend several select schools of the village. He followed the
carpenter business for a while; then went into trade for a time; and
at length became station-agent at the Marlborough Depot, on the
Cheshire Railroad. He was postmaster for the south part of town, is
an express agent, and mail and passage carrier from Marlborough
Cheshire Depot to the village. He is interested in the Christian
Church, and a temperance reformer.

WILLIAM A. NASON--born August 7, 1832 the only son among four children
of Ziba and Eunice (Buss) Nason. Attended district schools. He went
into business at Swanzey Factor, manufacturing pails, sold out,
and returned to Marlborough, entering a store as a clerk. For 12
years has been postmaster of the town; represented Marlborough in the
legislature for two terms.  Chosen a deacon of the Congregational
church in 1870, which office he still holds.  In 1855 he married
Caroline E. Knowlton, who died in 1862, leaving a daughter that
survived her only a few months.  He married 2) Sarah A. Knowlton, a
sister of his first wife.

JEDEDIAH PUTNEY, a native of Charlton, Mass, located in Fitzwilliam
about 80 years ago, and from there came to Marlboro, where he died
in 1866, aged 81 years.  His son, Moses, born in Fitzwilliam, came
to Marlboro in 1864, but returned about seven years ago.

DR. SAMUEL A. RIcHARDSON, was born in Dublin NH December 23, 1830;  He
was the youngest of four children, and the only son of Abijah and
Mary (Hay) Richardson). His parents were of the old Dublin stock--
a little austere in manner, perhaps, as was the fashion of the time.
His early life was spent on his father's farm, assisting with its
duties, and labor.  The common schools of Dublin at that time were
equal, if not superior to any in Cheshire County; He attended the
Hancock Literary and Scientific Institute, and the Normal Institute
at Reeds Ferry [Merrimack NH]. He attended medical lectures at
Philadelphia in 1852.  In 1853 he entered his name as a student in
the office of Albert Smith MD LLD of Peterborough. He attended a
course of lectures at the Woodstock (Vt) Medical College in 1855.
He graduated at the Albany Medical college, remained in a hospital one
year, and came to Marlboro July 5, 1855.  He remained in practice here
until 1862, when he went out with the 13th NH Vols and remained in the
service until the close of the war.  At the time of the surrender of
Lee, at Appomatox, the doctor furnished the lunch partaken of the
vanquished and victorious commanders.  With this refreshment he
managed to furnish some liquor, which he said they drank in silence
and with bowed heads.  Dr. RIchardson died June 19, 1884.

CHARLES RYAN was born in Boston, Mass, and was left an orphan at the
age of about 3 years, or about the time he was brought to this
town.  He lived here until 21 years of age, when he went to
Massachusetts and remained about 21 years, then came back to Marlboro.
He married Arvilla Farrar, and occupies the farm upon which she was
born.

JEDEDIAH K. SOUTHWICK, a native of Danvers, Mass, and a potter by
trade, came to Dublin at an early day, and died here in 1843. His
son, Augustus Southwick came to Marlboro in 1854, and now resides on
road 1, where he and his son, J. Kilburn Southwick are dairy farmers.

HON. ANDREW C. STONE, was born in Marlborough May 16, 1839. He is a
son of Aaron Stone. He was educated in the schools of Marlborough
and at Appleton Academy at New Ipswich and Phillips Academy at
Exeter. When a young man he taught school in Walpole, Keene, New
Ipswich and Peterborough.  In 1860 he commenced reading law at
Lawrence, Mass, and continued his studies until August 1862, when he
enlisted in the 33rd Massachusetts Volunteers, and served three years
in the army.  In 1865 he went to Ashtabula, Ohio, and completed his
law studies with Judge Sherman, being admitted to the bar in the
spring of 1867. He at once commenced the practice of law in Lawrence,
Mass, where he has continued to reside and practice his profession
until the present time.  In 1869 he married Mary F. Hulbert,
daughter of Joseph E. Hulbert, Esq. of Ashtabula, Ohio. He has taken
great interest in the Grand Army of the Republic, having attended as
a delegate of the National Encampments at Indianpolis, Baltimore and
Denver.  He is Past Commander of Post 39, Department of Massachusetts.
He is a Knight Templar and Scottish Rite Mason, and Past Master of
Phoenician Lodge, in Lawrence. He has been twice a member of the
Common Council of Lawrence, and was one year president of the
Massachusetts Republican State Central Committee.  For the years
1880 and 1882 he was a member of the Massachusetts Senate, serving
upon the committees on the judiciary and railroads.  He was a delegate
from his district to the Republican National Convention in Chicago in
1884, and favorted the renomination of President Arthur at that time.
He has been an extensive traveler, having been largely through the
United States and twice to Europe. He is at present city solicitor
of Lawrence, Mass.

REV. CYRUS STONE, son of Shubael and Polly (Rogers) STone was born in
Marlborough June 9, 1793. He became a professing Christian at 19 yrs
of age and remained a farmer up to the age of 24 years.  He spent a
year and a half at the Kimball Union Academy, Meriden, after which
he entered Dartmouth in 1818, graduating in the class of 1822. He
spent the summer working on the farm, and winter teaching in
Fitzwilliam, Westminster Vt and other places. He entered the Andover
Theological Seminary, graduating in the class of 1825.  Around 1826
he continued medical studies at Darmouth COllege [NH] and Harvard
Medical School. During that year he married Miss Atossa Frost, dau
of Col. Joseph and Zilpha (Roberts) Frost, and with her sailed as a
missionary, from Boston to Bombay, India, in the ship "Emerald"
(Capt. Heard) on 7 May 1827, arriving in India in September.  In 1841,
after 14 years of service, due to health problems, and that of his
wife, he returned to AMerica where he preached in various places
including Bingham, Me, Harwich, Saugus and East Bridgewater, Mass, and
located at Melrose, MA.  He engaged in the publication of the
"Mother's Assistant," and "Happy Home," monthly magazines of a
religious character, and of books of a similar kind for families.
He removed to Beechwood, a portion of Cohasset, Maine as pastor where
he died 19 July 1867.

JEREMIAH STONE, M.D., son of Shubel and Polly (Rogers) Stone was born
in Marlborough Nov 2, 1798. He graduated at Dartmouth Medical College
December 1825. He commenced the practice of medicine in Topsfield,
Mass Jan 6, 1826 and remained there 11 years.  He removed to
New Bedford, MA and thence to Provincetown MA in 1864 where he
remained until his death, except for 2 years in Chatham.  He was
an Abolitionist, and a worker in the Congregational Church (of which
he had been a member since 1814). He was an honorary member of the
Massachusetts Medical Society. He died April 23, 1875.

HENRY P. TENNEY was born
Reply
#2
Great info on the history of Marlborough George. Thanks for sharing.
Keep the faith
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)