1 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
(@sea-hunter)
Member Admin
Topic starter

Beepin' About With Tom Ivines

What to Carry When Detecting

Lately I have been taking a lot of pictures of where I hunt and putting them on the Internet metal detecting forums.  The practice has been so
popular and well accepted that I have been doing a little video as well.  With the new software program called "Real Player and Real Producer," it is now possible to show video on the Internet.
   Action on the Internet is always interesting and attracts more visitors to a web site than normal.  I started by putting short video clips of the places I hunt on my web site. Then I did a few for some metal detecting forums.  The results was astonishing.  People love it and are demanding more.  But, not to get off subject here.  In order to take pictures, do video, and metal detect, too, requires carrying around more than usual.  I mean, most of us carry a few things around besides just a metal detector. When you talk about carrying a video camera as well, it changes the perspective of things.
   One of the folks on the forum brought up, "Just how do you metal detect carrying all that paraphernalia around, anyhow?"
   My answer was another short video clip on what I carry on my person while detecting.  Surprisingly I carry very little.  The camera I use
for video is a compact Sony High "8" 8mm handycam which is not much larger than a standard 35mm.  On top of that, I carry it in a fanny pack that is designed to be a "finds" pouch as well.  It fits snugly against my waist where after a while I am unaware it is even there.  Usually I only tape when I am resting in between hunting so it is no problem.
   I also have a still digital camera I slip in my pants pocket.  It is not much larger than a pack of cigarettes yet holds 32 images at high resolution.
   Then I carry a Walther P-380 double action automatic in my other pants pocket for security.  Yes, I have a permit to carry it here in Florida. My pocket cell phone fits in my shirt pocket and for the most part I am holding my Lesche digger in my hand, but often I slip it in the rear pocket of my jeans.  So, there you have it.  I am free to metal detect but I am still able to tape action, take snap shots, stay in touch with civilization (often hunt in the boonies), and feel secure about being wherever I am, comfortably.
   I carry water and usually a couple sandwiches if I am making an afternoon of a detecting trip, but that stuff usually stays in the vehicle.  No sense in packing it along with you unless you are a ways back into the interior, in which I would have on a backpack and have much more than just sandwiches and water.
   Speaking of backpacks, I always keep one in my little pickup truck just in case.  It is always equipped with the minimum survival equipment like a snake bite kit, matches, and two cans of Beanie-Weenies.  Yes, a backpack can take you a long way from your vehicle and not hinder you from metal detecting.  I know some folks who use one and even pack along extra coils.  Different sizes naturally.
   Last but not least an extra set of batteries for the detector is a good idea.  These I keep all the time in the camera fanny pack.  Two sets actually: an extra for the camera and an extra for the detector.
   That's about it.  If you use your head you can metal detect light and still have everything that you need for an outing, including camera equipment.  It just takes a little preplanning and some common sense.

Posted : 28/09/2015 3:51 pm
Share: