Clear all

Metal Detecting Advice Needed!

8 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
(@duncannee1)
Topic starter

Hello, 
I currently have a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, and I love the machine! But it doesn't do well on the beaches, nor is it waterproof. I would like to get a machine that is waterproof and will do well in fresh and salt water. I've done a lot of research but I wanted some advice from people that detect in the area that I will be detecting. I have the opportunity to purchase a Tesoro Sand Shark with an 8" coil, that has never been used, for $300.00. Does anyone know if buying this machine would be worth doing, and would the warranty carry over to me? Should I buy that detector, or buy a new detector like the Pi Dual Field or Mark II? Thanks for any help!

Duncan

Posted : 25/01/2016 7:00 am
(@sea-hunter)
Member Admin

If you want something cheap and good for water (ocean or fresh)  I only recommend the Fisher 1280-x The best is 10 X better and more money.  if you get  what I recommend will cost you over $1,400.  I think you got ripped off with the Bounty Hunterand you would have done better. with a Name BRAND and a better quality metal detector.

Posted : 25/01/2016 7:55 am
(@duncannee1)
Topic starter

Really? I've heard that the 1280x is very chatty In salt water, but I heard that the Sand Shark was one of best pulse induction metal detectors, and is less responsive to higher materialization than VLF detectors.

Posted : 25/01/2016 9:45 am
(@sea-hunter)
Member Admin

I know what I am talking about  and have been a multi-line dealer including Bounty Hunter  since 1973, The  absolute  best for water is the Minelab Excalibur II.

Posted : 25/01/2016 11:51 am
(@duncannee1)
Topic starter

So are you saying that it is not worth getting the Sand Shark?

Posted : 25/01/2016 12:36 pm
(@sea-hunter)
Member Admin

Anything is better then nothing. Its a noisy detector and if you get a sand shark and are still using it after a year, you are one of a few. Most I sold a sand shark have moved up to Minelab. Popular brands for underwater are Minelab, Garrett, Fisher, DetectorPro and in my opinion the Minelab is the best.

Posted : 25/01/2016 1:22 pm
(@duncannee1)
Topic starter

Ok thanks for the help!

Posted : 25/01/2016 3:16 pm
(@sea-hunter)
Member Admin

Been organizing small group treasure hunting trips to Caribbean since 1986, I do not know it all and far from being an expert. My opinions based on being a multi line dealer and as a treasure hunting trip organizer.

Posted : 26/01/2016 8:35 am
Share: